All teachers have a role to play in the personal development, health, safety and welfare of young people. This can be done in a range of ways including through the curriculum and by establishing a positive classroom environment.
Youth violence issues can be addressed in the curriculum through:
- embedding social and emotional learning in everyday practice
- the Enhancing Personal Development and Promoting the Health of Individuals and Communities strands of the Health and Physical Education (HPE) key learning area
- addressing bullying and harassment.
Resources which may be useful include:
- Bullying. No Way!
- Queensland Drug Education Resources
- The Schoolies Week CD-ROM resource kit which provides school-leavers with safety tips to ensure the week is one to remember, not one to forget. Included on the CD-ROM is a short DVD film, teacher notes written in collaboration with teachers to support the classroom curriculum and a range of fact sheets with tips for responsible behaviour. Also contained in the package is a suite of fact sheets and the Schoolies Week booklet for every Year 12 student. Further information on Schoolies can be obtained by calling 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 15 Sep 2016 at 04:08PM