Fanfare is the biennial state-wide festival of bands and orchestras from Queensland state schools. It showcases the exciting music making that is occurring in school-based ensembles across the state.
Fanfare provides an opportunity for the school community to celebrate their young musicians and instrumental teachers by encouraging and promoting musical excellence though performance.
It aims to:
- promote excellence in ensemble performance
- highlight school-based ensemble performance
- offer students and teachers of ensembles the experience of expert adjudication
- provide students and teachers with the opportunity to perform in a music festival with ensembles from other state schools.
Fanfare begins with schools nominating to participate in a regional festival.
- Regional festivals are held in various venues throughout the state.
- Primary and secondary state school ensembles are nominated to participate for Fanfare by their conductor.
- Each ensemble performance is professionally adjudicated. The adjudicator:
- provides positive and constructive feedback to the students and the conductor
- awards each participating ensemble with a certificate at the end of their performance
- presents regional awards to the best performance from a primary, secondary and P
- Eleven state finalist ensembles are selected to participate in the State Fanfare festival, held for three days in Brisbane.
State Fanfare festival
The State Fanfare festival is held over three days in Brisbane. At this festival:
- the eleven state finalists perform for professional adjudicators
- the adjudicators select five ensembles to perform at the Grand final concert, held in the Concert hall, Queensland Performing Arts Centre
- the ensemble judged to give the most outstanding performance receives the Erica Brindley memorial trophy
- an evening concert is held for the six ensembles who are not invited to perform in the grand final concert.
The Grand final concert showcases the high quality of school-based ensembles in Queensland state schools and provides a unique and prestigious environment and event in which students can perform.
^ Top of page
For information about the Erica Brindley memorial trophy and a summary of Fanfare regional and state award recipients - Fanfare - 1985-2010 69k