Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Link to Queensland Government (
Home | Site map | Contact us | for
Department of Education
Creating Healthier Workplaces > Employee Assistance Program >

Employee Assistance Program FAQs

Who do I call to access the Employee Assistance Program?

Staff and their immediate family members wishing to access free, confidential, short-term counselling services for work or non-work related issues are able to contact DET's external EAP provider, Optum on telephone 1800 604 640.

This is a 24/7 telephone number. Urgent after hours counselling requests will be put through to an on call counsellor. All non-urgent counselling requests received after hours will be booked to occur during business hours (8am - 6pm). No departmental referral to Optum is required. Staff can also book through the Live and Work Well online booking form. To access Optum's online services, tools and resources enter the access code into the 'Members Access Anonymously' section of the home page.

Instructions (DOCX, 2.6MB) Microsoft® Word document2.6M for logging into Optum's Live and Work Well online resources are available.

Optum have a large number of counsellors located across the state in all major regional areas for staff wanting a face to face appointment. In smaller regional and more remote areas, Optum is able to provide telephone or video counselling.

Is my conversation with a counsellor with the external provider confidential?

All conversations with the external provider are confidential, within the ethical boundaries of the professional codes of ethics. If the external provider is concerned that an employee has the potential to self-harm, then in this context, they would discuss the appropriateness of contacting a doctor or next of kin. Case notes kept by the external provider can only be accessed when required by law.

Do I have to tell my principal/supervisor that I am seeing a counsellor?

No. If you access the EAP counselling service outside of work hours or during leave, you do not have to tell your principal or supervisor.

Can I see the EAP counsellor during working hours?

Yes. To do so you will need to liaise with your principal/supervisor for approval for time away from your work duties and their decision will be based on operational needs. However, you may choose to see the EAP counsellor outside of working hours if you prefer not to discuss this with your principal/supervisor.

How many counselling sessions am I allowed per year?

All staff and their immediate family members are entitled to access up to four (4) counselling sessions per calendar year.

What can the external counselling service help me with?

EAP counsellors can provide short-term counselling and advice to help you with work or non work-related issues that may be impacting on your psychological health. In doing so they consider your individual circumstances and provide advice on the options available to you for addressing work and non work-related issues.

Does anything go on my record?

Any notes made by the external counselling service are stored securely by the EAP provider. These notes can only be accessed where required by law.

^ Top of page

This page was last reviewed on 29 Jul 2015 at 10:52AM

Employee Assistance Fact Sheets
Employee Assistance Contacts
Working Well

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Right to information | Access keys | Other languagesOther languages

© The State of Queensland 2018.

Queensland Government