Investigations into Health Concerns at Deception Bay State High School
In response to concerns raised by staff at Deception Bay State High School, the Department of Education, Training and the Arts has implemented the following actions:
- Conducted a staff information session at Deception Bay State High School to discuss staff concerns. The forum was attended by specialist health staff from Queensland Health and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland
- Provided a letter to all parents and caregivers with students at Deception Bay State High School. This letter provided information about the approach being taken by the department to address staff concerns
- Engaged an environmental consultant who have undertaken the following assessments
- Detailed site history
- Soil Sampling
- Water quality sampling
- Air testing
- Radiological screening for ionising and non-ionising radiation
This testing advises that the Deception Bay State High School site "poses no greater risk to the school occupants than that of the normal background levels". The executive summary of the environmental consultant's Stage 1 Environmental Assessment report (new window) 295K is available.
A copy of the full report will be available at the school. The department will be actioning all recommendations detailed in this report.
- Liaised with Queensland Health, who have commenced a review of the incidence of cancer at Deception Bay State High School.
The school community will be kept informed of the outcomes of the assessments.
For further information contact Mr Jerome Paige, Organisational Health Unit on (07) 3237 0230.
^ Top of page