Appropriate facilities and trained personnel are required to ensure that effective first aid can be rendered in a timely manner during all workplace activities including:
- Routine activities e.g. normal work day, classrooms, office, play and recreation.
- Sporting activities on campus and at other locations.
- Off-site activities e.g. excursions and camps.
- Other activities hosted at the workplace e.g. expos, concerts, fetes, dances.
Departmental procedures and guidelines
First Aid Guideline
Emergency Medication Requirements
Managing Head Injuries
Legislation and other Links
Work Health and Safety Act 2011
Work Health and Safety Regulation 2011
Ambulance Service Act 1991
First Aid Code of Practice
Indemnities and Legal Assistance to State Employees
Frequently Asked Question: Can workplaces have products such as savlon and stingose in first aid kits?
Advice from St John Ambulance, the Red Cross and the Queensland Ambulance Service:
- First aid organisations recommend that liquid rather than cream-based antiseptic solutions (diluted 1:10) be used, but only for very superficial injures. The liquid form is recommended because of the potential for cream-based products to become contaminated.
- First aid organisations recommend the application of ice (compress/ice pack) for minor bites and stings.
- The First Aid Code of Practice 2004 allows for additional items to be included in first aid kits based on the assessed needs of the particular workplace.
- In certain circumstances where it may not be possible to keep ice or an ice pack, such as on excursions or in locations where there is an assessed need, items such as stingose may be included in first aid kits. Remember that ice substitute products such as sprays and packs are available from pharmacies and first aid suppliers.
- In all circumstances, reference MUST be made to school records of student medical details, known allergies and parental/caregiver permission for the use of such products on individual students. Students should be monitored and caregivers (parent/guardian) contacted as required.
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 27 Jul 2012 at 12:44PM