Playgrounds and Outdoor Areas
It is important that systems are in place to minimise the risk of injuries associated with playground equipment, sporting equipment and the surrounding physical environment. For example:
- The safety aspects of all playground and sporting equipment are considered when purchasing new equipment.
- Design and construction of recreation areas meet recommended standards and include appropriate shade areas.
- Equipment is installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's instructions and guidelines.
- Systems are implemented to action the results of inspections, e.g. checklists completed, repair items actioned, regular reports to management.
- Safety rules are established and monitored to reinforce safe play and acceptable use of equipment. This may include student instruction on acceptable use of equipment, numbers of students on a piece of equipment or times equipment or areas can be used.
Departmental procedures and guidelines
Playground equipment should be thoroughly checked at least twice per year with regular visual checks being undertaken throughout the year.
Legislation and other links
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 16 Aug 2016