Aspiring Teacher Grants
Applications for the 2016 Aspiring Teacher Grant are now open and close 5pm, Friday 11 December 2015.
The Aspiring Teacher Grants aim to promote teaching as a career path for high achieving secondary students.
The grants provide a one off cash incentive to high-achieving Year 12 school leavers who are starting their teaching career and undertaking an initial teacher education program at a Queensland higher education institution (HEI).
Up to 25 grant recipients will receive a one-off payment of $1,500. The lump sum payment is made during the first semester at university to assist with study-related expenses such as textbooks and stationery.
Recipients must successfully complete at least the first semester of study of their initial teacher education program.
Recipients who withdraw from their initial teacher education program or change their enrolment to a non-education program after payment of the grant may be required to repay the department some or all of the funds.
Grant recipients are encouraged to seek independent financial advice regarding any impact this grant may have on taxation, government benefits and self-education expenses. Information about the taxation on scholarships and grants is available from the Australian Tax Office website.
To be eligible to apply for this grant, applicants must:
- successfully complete Year 12 at a Queensland state or non-state school in the current year
- obtain an Overall Position (OP) of between 1 and 5 (or equivalent)
- commence an initial teacher education program at a Queensland Higher Education Institution in Semester 1 of the following year
- have not already accepted a scholarship or grant from the department to support tertiary studies
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia.
Recipients of an Aspiring Teacher Grant must:
- successfully complete at least the first semester of study of an initial teacher education program
- not have already accepted any other scholarship or grant from the Department to support tertiary studies
- note that acceptance of offers cannot be deferred.
Application process and supporting documents
Detailed information about the application and selection process is provided below. Applicants will be required to complete an online application.
Aspiring Teachers Fact Sheet 406K
Aspiring Teachers Application Form 793K
Authority to Release Overall Position Form 383K
Aspiring Teachers Checklist 320K
The department will offer grants through a merit selection basis determined by the online application.
Applicants will be assessed with respect to the following criteria:
- academic achievement during Year 12 and achieving an OP of 1 to 5 (or equivalent)
- offer and commencement of study in an approved preservice teacher education program in a Queensland Higher Education Institution
- commitment and motivation to study for a teaching career.
Frequently asked questions
I completed year 12 at the end of last year (2014), have been accepted into an initial teacher education program for this year (2015) but deferred commencement to take a gap year. Am I still eligible to apply for an Aspiring Teacher Grant?
Unfortunately you are not eligible - tertiary study must commence in the semester immediately following completion of year 12.
I have not yet submitted my application for entry into university for next year. Can I still apply?
Yes, however you will need to provide the required document as soon as possible. Evidence of your applying for HEI entry is required in the assessment process.
I haven't received my OP yet. Can I still apply for the Aspiring Teacher Grant?
Yes. Submit your online application form with all the required documentation, then forward evidence of your OP as soon as you receive it. The application process includes an authorisation form that you need to sign to enable the department to obtain your OP result from the Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
I am studying under the International Baccalaureate (IB) program and will not receive an OP. Am I able to apply?
Yes, however your IB result will need to translate to the equivalent of OP 1 to 5.
At the time of submitting my application, I have not yet been offered a placement in a preservice/initial teacher education course, nor have I enrolled in subjects. Am I still able to apply?
Yes. You will need to send in evidence of the HEI offer as soon as you have accepted it with the university. You will then need to submit evidence of having enrolled in the first semester subjects as part of the grant acceptance process.
Will I hear the outcome of my application regardless of whether I am successful or not?
Yes, all applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application.
If my application is successful and an offer of a grant is made, what is required of me to accept the offer?
You will need to provide us with:
- a copy of the letter from the HEI offering a place in the initial teacher education program
- confirmation of enrolment into subjects in the initial teacher education program
- a personal details form seeking additional details not provided in your application to enable us to make the payment to you
- a completed tax declaration form.
If my application for a grant is not successful, is there any other financial support available to assist me to undertake my study in a preservice teacher education program?
View our list of all scholarships and grants available through the department. Financial assistance may also be available from other sources such as your Higher Education Institution.
Enquiries and further information
For specific scholarship enquiries email email@example.com or telephone (07) 3055 2967.
Past grant recipients:
- Cami Ahern, West Moreton Anglican College
- Brooke Bartlem, Rockhampton State High School
- Aimee Dux, Marist College (Emerald)
- Danielle Forward, Cooloola Christian College
- Courtney Howlett, Xavier Catholic College
- Caitlin Jenner, Pimlico State High School
- Natalie Lund, St Mary's College (Maryborough)
- Ellen McGuigan, Monto State High School
- Sheridan Scott, St Patrick's College (Mackay)
- Lachlan Short, Brisbane Grammar School
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 12 Oct 2015