The department provides state school teachers with a wide variety of leave entitlements. This will ensure teachers able to maintain a healthy balance between their professional and personal lives.
The major types of leave available to permanent employees include:
- ten (10) days of sick leave each year
- long service leave - 1.3 weeks for each year of continuous service which can be accessed after seven (7) years
- bereavement leave of 2 working days in each instance of bereavement
- parental leave, including maternity, paternity, surrogacy and adoption leave
- leave for study and examination purposes
- special leave for absences of a particular purpose, such as compassionate grounds, sporting competitions or jury duty
- unpaid extended special leave of three (3) years, or seven (7) years for family responsibilities reasons.
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 11 Mar 2013