Technical education by correspondence
The Technical Education Branch was one of the first bodies in Australia to provide tuition by correspondence. This is understandable when the geography of the State is considered. In 1911 correspondence lessons were prepared for students of commercial subjects. By 1926 electrical apprentices in remote country areas were undertaking their courses by correspondence. Originally, the Central Technical College was responsible for correspondence students. However, in 1945, a separate Technical Correspondence School was established to serve the needs of students in areas not directly served by colleges. To meet the changed conditions of the 1970s, the number and variety of courses offered by the Correspondence Schools have been greatly increased in the past decade.
In the past, technical education has made a worthwhile contribution to the education of the State. It has proved relatively responsive to social and economic demands, has supplied some of the leaders in the fields of mining, architecture, industry and commerce, and it has provided an alternative secondary and tertiary education for many who, otherwise, would have failed to receive such an education.