Skip links and keyboard navigation

A chronology of special education in Queensland

1875-1900 | 1900-1925 | 1925-1950 | 1950-1975 | 1975-2000 | 2000-2009



  • Mrs Edith Bryan appointed head teacher of school section of Queensland Blind Deaf and Dumb Institution.


  • The Institute for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb became the responsibility of the Department of Home Affairs and the teachers became employees of the State: Queensland's first State employed special educators.


  • Under the direction of WF Bevington, District Inspector of Schools, assisted by Miss Kathleen Sheehy, classes for backward children were established at South Brisbane Boys' School, Fortitude Valley, New Farm, Rockhampton, Townsville, Toowoomba, and Ipswich.


  • As a result of The Blind, Deaf and Dumb Children Instruction Bill of 1924, education for deaf children becomes compulsory (148 children are enrolled).

^ Top of page

Last reviewed
10 January 2013
Last updated
10 January 2013