Skip links and keyboard navigation

A chronology of special education in Queensland

1875-1900 | 1900-1925 | 1925-1950 | 1950-1975 | 1975-2000 | 2000-2009

1925-1950

1926

  • Backward classes became Opportunity classes, as recommended by Kathleen Sheehy.

1931

  • Administrative control of the Blind, Deaf and Dumb Institution (Juvenile Section) was transferred from the Department of Home Affairs to the Department of Public Instruction.

1935

  • Dutton Park Opportunity School was established with Kathleen Sheehy as the first head teacher, following the closure of the South Brisbane Opportunity Classes.

1938

  • The first group hearing aid equipment was provided at the Queensland School for the Deaf.
  • Under the Backward Persons Act of 1938, backward children were now seen as the responsibility of the Department of Health and Home Affairs, and were placed in mental health institutions.

1941

  • A psychologist J J Pratt was appointed Educational Guidance Officer.

1947

  • As a result of the survival of children with cerebral palsy, the Queensland Spastic Welfare League was formed. The Department of Public Instruction established a school within this institution.
  • Individual hearing aids are provided to deaf students at the Queensland School for the Deaf.

1948

  • Research and Guidance Branch established, with William Wood as Principal Research and Guidance Officer

^ Top of page

Last reviewed
10 January 2013
Last updated
10 January 2013