Skip links and keyboard navigation

A chronology of special education in Queensland

1875-1900 | 1900-1925 | 1925-1950 | 1950-1975 | 1975-2000 | 2000-2009

1875-1900

1883

  • John William Tighe established a workshop for visually impaired men and raised funds for the education of the visually impaired.

1888

  • Financial support was provided to enable 13 children to attend the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute in Sydney.

1893

  • A Blind, Deaf and Dumb School was established in Queensland, controlled by a committee chaired by Sir Charles Lilley. The school opened at Cornwall St, Annerley with 20 students.

1897

  • The Blind School and the Deaf School were established as separate schools on the above site. Deaf and blind children were educated separately but housed together.

^ Top of page

Last reviewed
10 January 2013
Last updated
10 January 2013