Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Link to Queensland Government (
Home | Site map | Contact us | for
Department of Education
Home education > Registration >

Senior Secondary

What is an eligible option?

The compulsory participation phase in education or training starts when a young person stops being of compulsory school age (16 years of age) or completes Year 10. During this phase, a young person must participate in an eligible option if they are not working full-time. An eligible option is provided by learning institutions such as state schools and non-state schools, universities, TAFE institutes or registered training organisations.

My child is in the compulsory participation phase, not enrolled at a school, not learning in an eligible option and not working full-time. Should they be registered for home education?

Yes. In these circumstances your child should be registered for home education until the compulsory participation phase has ended. A young person who is registered for home education and turns 17 during the year will be able to remain registered until 31 December of that year providing the standard conditions of registration, such as reporting, are met.

Are home educated students eligible for Youth Allowance?

You should contact the Department of Human Services directly to discuss any questions you have regarding this.

As my child turns 16 are there changes to family payment entitlements?

There may be. You should contact the Department of Human Services with specific questions about your situation.

Am I eligible for a textbook allowance for my child?

Yes. A Textbook and Resources Allowance (TRA) is payable to a parent with a registered child recorded by date of birth at Years 7 to 12. Each year, a parent is notified by the HEU of the potential payment and the HEU makes arrangements for the payment. If a child is registered part way through a year having previously been enrolled at a school, a parent would not be eligible for a TRA payment for that year as the payment would have already been paid to the school.

Can my child participate in Work Experience?

Yes. As the educator of your child, it will be your responsibility to make all the contacts and arrangements for this work experience.QED will provide WorkCover for your child. It will be necessary to complete the Work Experience Agreement form. Further information about this cover is available by request from the HEU. Students who are at least 14 years of age can participate in a maximum of 30 days work experience per year.

Will my child receive an Overall Position (OP) if they continue to home educate to Year 12?

No. If you want your child to receive an OP, you should contact a school of distance education, state school or non-state school and enrol the young person for Years 11 and 12. This does not mean that your child cannot seek entry to tertiary institutions via alternative pathways.

Will my child be able to access a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship?

Yes. All arrangements are made directly by the parent with a registered training organisation, the employer and the HEU. The manager of the HEU signs the Australian Apprenticeships, School Notification form in relation to the arrangement. Components of a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship can contribute towards a student's learning account.

Through the HEU, a learning account is opened for my registered child when they enter their Year 10 equivalent year. Why is this done?

It is a requirement that all Queensland children in this age group have a learning account opened for them with the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority (QCAA). Banking credits in this account allows the young person to be eligible for a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE).

Can my older child work part-time while they are registered for home education?

Yes. However, when and how long they can work is governed by the Child Employment Act 2006.

What is the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)?

The QCE is a qualification awarded to young people at the completion of the compulsory participation phase, usually at the end of Year 12 (or later if not complete by then). It confirms a student has:

Please note: the home education program which has been formed by the parent does not attract any points towards the QCE. Points for the QCE can only be earned if the part-time study has been through an accredited learning institution such as a school or TAFE, or is part of an accredited QCAA course.

What is a learning account?

All learning, undertaken within the guidelines that surround the allocation of a QCE, is recorded in a learning account opened with the QCAA. These achievements then convert into credits. As activities and studies are completed, the credits are banked and the learning account grows. When it reaches a total of 20 (with 12 of these coming from 'core studies') a student is eligible for the QCE. A learning account remains open for seven years after Year 12 or equivalent is completed and it closes as soon as a QCE is awarded. Points can be banked even after the young person has left the school or home education environment.

Can my child get a QCE if they are registered for home education?

The individual work undertaken by a student in their own home under the guidance of their parents is not transferable to bankable credit points. However, there are other ways to attain the 20 credit points and the Literacy and Numeracy requirements for the QCE. These can include: TAFE subjects, music board exams, vocational education, QCAA Senior External Examinations, negotiated projects, participation in the Core Skills tests and preparatory courses. Certificates and awards in areas such as music, dance, drama, sport, and community development can count towards the QCE if they meet the Quality Criteria. These courses of study are usually offered by an organisation other than a school and results are quality assured by an organisation other than the QCAA, for example Australian Music Examinations Board (AMEB).

HEU can provide some information about studies which meet QCE requirements. Additionally, parents can consult the QCAA website to identify aspects of their child's home education that might contribute towards the banking of credits and the achievement of a QCE.

Can my registered child sit for the Queensland Core Skills Test?

Yes. However, should you wish your child to sit these tests, you will need to contact the QCAA directly. An application to sit the tests must be submitted through the QCAA.

What is a Learning Project?

This is a specific area of learning that can count towards the QCE. A young person can work with a QCAA delegate to develop a learning project. This will count as a single credit when the negotiated learning has taken place and evidence of learning has been validated by the QCAA delegate. A home educated child can develop more than one self-directed project. Information about setting up projects of this nature can be located on the QCAA website under QCE Learning Projects.

^ Top of page

This page was last reviewed on 02 May 2018

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Right to information | Access keys | Other languagesOther languages

© The State of Queensland 2018.

Queensland Government