Where is the Brisbane Urban Environmental Education Centre?
The BUEEC is located within the Newmarket State School Campus, corner of Bank Street and Enoggera Road, Newmarket. The Centre has administrative offices located in the main school building and a 2-room teaching facility, the Education for Sustainability Learning Centre.
The Centre is approximately 5 km to the north of the Central Brisbane city area and is easily accessed by both train and City Council buses.
What does the Brisbane Urban Environmental Education Centre provide?
The BUEEC supports student learning through:
- Specialised field investigation programs in city and suburban locations that relate to the social and built environment, and natural systems and resources.
Centre based activities in the Education for Sustainability Learning Centre that enable students to explore, investigate and develop deeper understandings and experience of some of the key issues (particularly Energy Efficiency) relating to living sustainably in an urban setting.
- Developing partnerships with schools to assist with planning and implementing school sustainability initiatives.
- The Brisbane Show Camp: a specialised residential program run in partnership with the Royal Brisbane Show (The Ekka) for upper Primary students to use the experiences of the Ekka as the basis for media and journalism projects.
Providing expert support to teachers and schools developing and implementing urban or sustainability based environmental investigations.
The BUEEC extensively utilises Media and Learning Technologies in all programs providing students with access to a wide range of ICT devices to enable them to obtain field data, and then assisting the students to use that digital information in a variety of forms.
Through the use of Media students can:
- share experiences, thoughts and feelings with others
- investigate real-world environmental issues through video journalism
- document and share their sustainability story and achievements
- learn with others through eLearning opportunities.
The Centre is committed to supporting schools in implementing the Australian National Curriculum - in particular in the area of Science, and also in future in the areas of History, Geography and the Arts.
The Centre can also provide limited residential accommodation for groups wanting extended visits to Brisbane.