Fee exemptions for eligible dependant students of temporary visa holders
Dependants of temporary visa holders who are of school age (P-12) are eligible for an exemption from paying international student school tuition fees in Queensland state schools if they meet the conditions. The exemption only applies for the duration of the main temporary visa holder's (parent's) course of study in Queensland. DET International will charge dependant tuition fees for children enrolled in pre-preparatory learning programs, including Queensland Government-approved kindergarten programs.
Details of approved kindergarten programs are available on the Early Childhood Education and Care website.
Criteria for assessing eligibility
Holders of temporary student visas may qualify for an exemption for their school age (P-12) dependants under the following requirements:
- Must not be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or be the child of someone who holds Australian citizenship or permanent residency.
- Must not be a citizen or permanent resident of New Zealand or be the child of someone who holds New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency and have travelled to Australia on a New Zealand passport.
- The reciprocal arrangement between Australia and New Zealand does not apply to nationals of Niue, Tokelau and Cook Islands who have New Zealand citizenship.
- Previous scholarships - must not have held a scholarship listed on the table of eligible exemptions 35K to study outside their home country in the 24 months preceding the current application.
- Course offer - must have Confirmation of Enrolment (or Schedule 1 in the case of AusAID scholars) for their course (refer to table of eligible exemptions 35K) starting in the year for which the scholarship is applied, to be undertaken full time at a Queensland education provider.
- Documentation - must provide documented and authentic evidence of eligibility to support their applications. Failing this, usual fees will apply.
- Duration of exemption - the exemption duration will be determined according to the documentary evidence provided by the applicant and will apply only for the duration of the main temporary visa.
- Parents must notify DET International in writing within 7 days of any changes to the visa subclass, parent's Confirmation of Enrolment, enrolment dates, parent's education provider, primary visa holder (e.g. from one parent to another), scholarship details and any other changes that may affect the dependant's fee exemption.
- The Executive Director, DET International has the delegation to approve applications for fee exemption.
Find out more information about Temporary Residents Admissions.
DET International contacts
Telephone: +317 3513 5749
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 24 Aug 2015