Considerations for principals establishing and implementing religious instruction
The following are key areas for consideration when establishing and implementing religious instruction in a school. This is a guide only and other considerations may be important for your school community.
- Students (excluding Prep) are allocated to either RI or other instruction 340K based on information in the completed Student Enrolment Application, unless parents have provided other written instructions.
- Religious instruction coordinators are provided with the necessary data (i.e. relevant numbers of students at each year level) to plan and schedule delivery of the authorised program.
Approval of religious instructors
Induction of religious instructors and religious instruction coordinators
Authorised program/other instruction
- Authorised program/s of RI are reviewed to ensure they do not contravene legislation or departmental procedures, and are made available to school community on request.
- Authorised program/s of RI may be reviewed to ensure they are developmentally appropriate for the intended target audience and feedback provided to the religious instruction coordinator.
- Separate learning spaces are allocated for each RI program (not in the same room).
- Staff are allocated to supervise each group of students.
- A register is maintained of the religious instructors who attend the school with the dates and times of their attendance.
- Complaints relating to student protection are managed using the Allegations against employees in the area of student protection procedure.
- Complaints related to RI (excluding student protection complaints) are responded to using the Complaints Management - State Schools procedure.
- Queries, complaints or concerns relating to RI are shared with the relevant religious instruction coordinator as appropriate.
- The process to withdraw a religious instructors' approval is managed by:
- providing the religious instructor and religious instruction coordinator written notice of matters of concern and inviting either a written response or a meeting to discuss issues and provide an oral response
- establishing in writing if necessary, a process to resolve the issues of concern with the consent of the religious instructor and religious instruction coordinator
- withdrawing approval of the religious instructor, if not satisfied with the response provided by the religious instructor and religious instruction coordinator, until the issues are resolved and providing written notice of this decision to the religious instructor and religious instruction coordinator.
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 07 Jun 2017 at 09:24AM