Step up into education schools
The following selected state schools have received funding of $40,000 per year for a four year period from 2012-13 to 2015-16 to better prepare children in areas of disadvantage for school and encourage parents to become involved in their child's learning journey.
As a result of this funding, these schools, in consultation with their school communities, have trialled and developed activities and processes to support positive transitions to school and parent engagement in their child's learning. The following school stories outline their learning journeys.
Andergrove State School - Andergrove's Step up story (DOC, 1.2MB)
Gladstone Central State School
Gracemere State School - Gracemere's Step up story (DOC, 629KB)
Mount Archer State School - Mount Archer's Step up story (DOC, 666KB)
Darling Downs and South West
Charleville State School
Dalby State School - Dalby's Step up story (DOC, 906KB)
Glenore Grove State School - Glenore Grove's Step up story (DOC, 446KB)
Newtown State School - Newtown's Step up story (DOC, 1.2MB)
Toowoomba North State School - Toowoomba North's Step up story (DOC, 367KB)
Aitkenvale State School - Aitkenvale's Step up story (DOC, 566KB)
Ayr State School - Ayr's Step up story (DOC, 1.1MB)
Bowen State School - Bowen's - Step up story (DOC, 8.2MB)
Happy Valley State School
Heatley State School - Heatley's Step up story (DOC, 944KB)
Mount Isa Central State School - Mount Isa Central's Step up story (DOC, 445KB)
Bundaberg North State School - Bundaberg North's Step up story (DOC, 455KB)
Kippa-Ring State School
For this project, a transition to school initiative is one where a set of planned activities or a process is established collaboratively by a range of stakeholders, to make starting school as successful as possible for children, families and teachers.
Step up into education schools will develop activities and processes in consultation with their school communities and may include (but not be limited to) the following:
- procurement of specialist transition services or programs
- implementation of early childhood literacy and numeracy programs
- playgroups (general, facilitated, accessible)
- home visiting services
- early childhood development programs
- school orientation activities
- programs that respond to community Australian Early Development Index (AEDI) results
- local school readiness and transition resources (such as starting school packs)
- teacher release for implementation of transition activities
- engagement of a project officer to coordinate or develop activities and programs.