eLearning for special needs students
The eLearning for special needs students initiative will deliver the state government's election commitment to provide electronic tablets to students with special needs.
The tablets will be provided directly to state special schools, state schools and non-government schools with identified special education programs.
- Each state special school will be provided with 20 tablets for student use.
- Each state school or non-government school offering an identified special education program (SEP) will be provided with up to 10 tablets for student use.
The electronic tablets will become the property and responsibility of the school to be covered under their existing IT provisions and for connection with the school's existing internet.
A procurement process is currently in progress. Deployment to schools is expected to be completed by the end of 2012.
Support for schools
To support the use of electronic tablets in schools, several guides and resources have been developed with information on:
- how electronic tablets can be used in a shared or 1-to-1 scenario
- technical support outlining setup, configuration and device management
- asset management, policy, security, probity and account management
- app suggestions for special education settings.
Access these resources today through Service Centre Online by selecting 'Mobile Devices' from 'Popular Topics'.
eLearning for special needs online forum
An online forum to support the deployment of the electronic tablets will be developed providing schools with:
- general information about the project
- information about specific deployment requirements for schools hosting SEPs
- access to the technical guides, mobile device trial information and relevant links to other web pages or websites
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Need more information?
- Read Mobile Devices in Special Education: (PDF, 7.1M) advice for schools to explore app suggestions for special needs students.
- Read about the successful iPad trial at a Grand Avenue SS SEP
- Stay up to date and explore the range of support available via Service Centre Online Select 'Mobile Devices' from 'Popular Topics'.