When an institute has unallocated Computers for Teachers laptops onsite that aren't being used, they are considered surplus assets.
TAFE institutes are entitled to a small pool of surplus laptops.
The number of surplus laptops to be held at any one institute is capped at either 10 laptops or 5 per cent of the institute's allocated laptop fleet (whichever is higher).
The Computers for Teachers team constantly reviews laptop allocations across the state to redistribute surplus laptops to institutes that need them.
If a laptop needs to be re-distributed from your institute's surplus pool to another TAFE, the Computers for Teachers team will contact your institute to provide detailed information on the procedure that needs to occur.
Identifying a surplus laptop
If any surplus laptops are identified at your institute, immediately advise the Computers for Teachers team.
Surplus laptops may be identified when:
- an individual teacher terminates their employment with your TAFE institute
- an individual teacher transfers to another position
- the number of teaching positions at your institute are reduced or removed
- a teacher decreases or increases their FTE
- a job share arrangement ceases.
Storing surplus laptops
You should securely store surplus Computers for Teachers laptops onsite in a designated reserve location.
Before storing them in a secure location, ensure these laptops are:
- cleaned of data and restored to an 'out-of-the-box' state
- re-imaged with your TAFE institute's standard operating environment and subsequent applications
- identified and declared as spare/surplus stock in your institute's asset inventory for audit purposes.
Deployment of a surplus laptop
If a TAFE institute needs to deploy a laptop from its surplus pool to a new teacher, email the Computers for Teachers team to request confirmation of the new teacher's eligibility.
The team will assess the teacher's eligibility and email you the outcome.
Once you receive notice from the team that the teacher is eligible and complete the allocation checklist, deploy a surplus laptop to the teacher.
Then, ensure the teacher's name and Computers for Teachers laptop number is:
- appropriately recorded by your institute
- emailed Computers for Teachers team.