Stolen Computers for Teachers laptops
Under the Computers for Teachers initiative any department issued laptop that is stolen must be immediately replaced by the institute.
TAFE institutes are responsible for the cost incurred when replacing a stolen Computers for Teachers laptop.
To ensure stolen laptops are promptly replaced, TAFE institutes should:
- report the theft to the Queensland Police and the Computers for Teachers team
- purchase a replacement laptop from the Computers for Teachers team.
Reporting a stolen or fire/flood damaged laptop
Please follow this process to report stolen or fire/flood damaged laptops.
- Report the theft or fire/flood damage to Queensland Police as soon as possible, preferably within 24 hours.
- Obtain a crime number and record the name of the officer taking the report. If a crime number is not immediately available, continue to step three and forward the crime number when it is available.
- Obtain and complete the TAFE Stolen/Damaged Form or equivalent. Some institutes use the form DET1135.
- By fax, return the TAFE Stolen/Damaged Form (or equivalent) to the Computers for Teachers team: (07) 3421 6441.
- The Computers for Teachers team will advise the Asset Accounting Unit of the stolen laptop.
- The Asset Accounting Unit will dispose of the stolen/damaged laptop's asset shell. This was created when the laptop was initially deployed.
- The stolen/damaged laptop must be written-off in your institute's record management system. Write 'stolen/damaged beyond repair' as a comment, along with the date of the loss.
- End the teachers Memorandum of Understanding for the stolen laptop.
- You will need to purchase a replacement laptop. Further details on purchasing replacements is available.
Purchasing a replacement for a stolen laptop
This process applies to buying a laptop to replace one that has been stolen.
When purchasing a replacement for a laptop that has been stolen, your institute should first ensure the theft has been reported as outlined above.
If a Computers for Teachers laptop is stolen, the below process should occur.
- Follow the process for reporting a stolen or fire/flood damaged laptop.
- The Computers for Teachers team will advise the TAFE institute of the asset shell number for the new laptop.
- The TAFE will need to email confirmation of the debit, to the Computers for Teachers team for a replacement laptop.
- The replacement laptop will be delivered to your TAFE institute.
- Record the new laptop in your institute's Computers for Teachers laptop record management system.
- Distribute the laptop, adhering to the Computers for Teachers process for distributing replacement laptops.
What to do if a stolen Computers for Teachers laptop is returned, found or recovered
In some instances, a Computers for Teachers laptop that has been reported as stolen will be returned, found or recovered.
If this occurs, your institute needs to:
- immediately notify the Computers for Teachers team of the details
- log a job with your institute's service provider to have the laptop returned to the vendor for a technical inspection; they will ascertain the state of the laptop and provide a quote for any repairs required and for the cost of missing or damaged accessories
- send a copy of the technical inspection and/or quote for repairs from vendor to the Computers for Teachers team.
- Action the vendor's quote and pay the invoice for the cost of repairs to the device and/or repair costs for any missing or damaged accessories.