Stolen, fire or weather-damaged laptops
Please note, we are in the process of moving documents to Service Centre Online (DETE staff only).
To locate documents:
- Go to Service Centre Online and type the name of the document (or subject matter) into the search field.
- Click search.
On this page:
- Reporting a stolen laptop
- Reporting a fire or weather-damaged laptop
- Reporting a returned or recovered laptop
If a Computers for Teachers laptop is stolen, damaged or lost in a fire or natural disaster, your school needs to submit an EQ38 Resource Replacement Scheme form (DETE staff only).
For the form to be processed, your school must have entered the laptop into OneSchool within two months of the date of the incident, have returned the claim form to the Asset Maintenance Unit and provided a copy to the Computers for Teachers team.
If a Computers for Teachers laptop is stolen please ensure the below process is followed:
- Report the theft to the Queensland Police Service preferably within 24 hours. Obtain a Crime Number from the police and record the name of the officer taking the report.
- Fill out a Resource Replacement Scheme/Illegal Entry Advice Form (EQ38) in accordance with Education Policies and Procedures Register ESM-PR-001: Resource Replacement Scheme.
- Fax the Resource Replacement Scheme/Illegal Entry Advice Form to the Asset Maintenance Unit on (07) 3237 1135. Note: If a crime number is not available immediately, you should submit the claim form and follow up with the crime number later when it is available.
- Fax a "for information" copy of the completed Resource Replacement Scheme/Illegal Entry Advice Form (EQ38) to the Computers for Teachers team on (07) 3421 6441.
- If the stolen laptop is a Dell E5410, E5420 or Acer TravelMate P643-M, please contact the Service Centre on 1800 680 445 to request activation of the inbuilt tracking software on the laptop, known as "Computrace". Computrace may be able to assist in locating the stolen laptop.
- After receiving the EQ38, the Computers for Teachers team will contact the school to organise the replacement.
- The replacement laptop will be forwarded to the school by the Computers for Teachers team.
- Ensure the laptop is unassigned to the teacher. Note: Do not dispose of the laptop in OneSchool unless instructed by Computers for Teachers.
Write the stolen laptop off in OneSchool. Please include a disposal comment of "stolen/damaged beyond repair" along with the date of loss.
Has your Computers for Teachers laptop been damaged or lost in a fire or natural disaster? It is important that all damage is reported within two months of the incident occurring. Failure to do so may result in cost reimbursement being unsuccessful.
Please follow the below process to ensure you get back up and running as quickly as possible.
- Report your lost or damaged laptop to the Computers for Teachers team on (07) 3421 6677 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to provide a description of the damage and when and where it occurred.
- If your laptop is damaged and/or no longer is working order, please see the Process to repair or replace a laptop damaged in a fire or flood.
- If you no longer have your laptop and it was lost in the fire or floods, please see the Process to replace a laptop lost in a fire or flood.
Where possible, the Computers for Teachers team will arrange for a loan laptop to be delivered to you.
In some instances a Computers for Teachers laptop reported as stolen will later be returned, found or recovered. If this occurs the school is to:
- Immediately notify Asset Maintenance Unit and the Computers for Teachers team of the details.
- Log a job with Service Centre to have the laptop returned to the vendor for a technical inspection to ascertain the state of the device, and to provide a quote for any repairs required and/or replacement/repair costs for any missing or damaged accessories.
- Send a copy of the technical inspection and/or quote for repairs from vendor to Asset Maintenance Unit.
- Action the vendor's quote and pay the invoice for the cost of repairs to the device and/or replacement/repair costs for any missing or damaged accessories.
If the school's claim under the Resource Replacement Scheme is approved the school will be reimbursed the total cost of the quote from the vendor. If the recovered laptop is written off the school will be reimbursed the cost of a replacement laptop.
If the school has already been reimbursed for the theft under the Resource Replacement Scheme the school will have to repay the difference between that reimbursement and the total cost of the quote for repairs from vendor to Asset Maintenance Unit.