What the department is doing
The department has introduced a number of measures to help reduce the amount of bandwidth used during crucial periods, including:
- Increasing the internet bandwidth link that schools and corporate offices share
- Minimising interruptions from 8am and 4pm (the peak period) by limiting the rollout of all software updates and patches during these times
- Blocking some websites between 8am and 4pm for staff and students at schools, regional office and central office. These websites include social networking, eBay, car sales and real estate and some video/radio streaming websites
- Advertising banners are stripped from websites
- Access to core online learning services such as The Learning Place and OneSchool have been given priority over access to other websites.
Additionally, everyone in the department can play a key role in improving connection speeds.