Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Link to Queensland Government (
Home | Site map | Contact us | for
Department of Education
Professional Development > Employee groups > Public Servants > Public Service Training >

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the additional remuneration an allowance or a pay increase?
It's a pay increase that will be reflected in superannuation contributions.

Is there a limit to the number of units of competency I can apply to have recognised through RPL?
No, you can apply to have all the units in a qualification recognised. You will, however, still incur costs.

If I undertake a unit of competency in a Certificate III qualification which is duplicated in the Certificate IV, do I have to redo the unit and pay for it again?
No, you can have your Statement of Attainment for that unit recognised towards the higher qualification. There should be no charge.

How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed against the performance criteria in each unit of competency. Assessment processes will vary according to the RTO running the training program and it is recommended that you familiarise yourself with the assessment tasks before beginning each unit.

If I am an AO2 employee and I gain a Certificate III, does that mean I will be promoted to an AO3?
No, a Certificate III qualification will not give you promotion. You need a Certificate IV qualification to be eligible for a pay increase after you have spent 12 months at the top level of your classification (AO2-8). The Certificate IV qualification does not move you into a higher classification.

What if I don't want or need to do a complete qualification? Can I just do the parts I need?
Yes, you are able to enrol in one unit at a time with Brisbane North Institute of TAFE. You will receive a Statement of Attainment for each unit in which you are assessed as competent. If you later decide to undertake the whole qualification, the units you have completed will count towards the final award.

If the qualification I want is not in the Public Sector Training Package how can I find which TAFE institute offers my choice?
You can search for the qualification of your choice on the TAFE Queensland website External Link, where you will also find contact details for each of the institutes. If you are unable to source your preferred qualification from TAFE, try searching the Australian Government Training website External Link for the qualification you want. When you find the qualification, you can access training providers by clicking on "Find RTOs approved to deliver this qualification".

I am a Schools Officer (Grounds and Facilities). Should I choose a qualification from the Horticulture Training Package or an alternative qualification?
You can undertake any qualification that you believe will be useful to you in your role, or simply choose to complete certain units of competency that relate to your work or your future career. If your school is supporting you with funding, you and your supervisor should discuss your needs as part of your Developing Performance conversations and reach agreement on what you will do.

For any other questions, please contact the Leadership and Capability team, Organisational Transformation and Capability, HR on (07) 3513 6572.

^ Top of page

This page was last reviewed on 01 Dec 2016 at 05:00PM

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Right to information | Access keys | Other languagesOther languages

© The State of Queensland 2018.

Queensland Government