Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Link to Queensland Government (
Home | Site map | Contact us | for
Department of Education
Student Services > Learning and Disability Support > Education for children with a disability - a guide for parents >

Key contacts outside Education Queensland

Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services

Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services is the Queensland Government department for disability services. Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services works closely with communities to enhance service delivery and allow people with disabilities and their families to have more input into the policies that affect them.

Your regional Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services office has detailed knowledge about the disability services available in your area from government agencies and non-government organisations.

To contact Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services, you can:

Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services regional office phone numbers are listed below:

Brisbane (07) 3109 7007
North Coast (07) 5431 2230
South East (07) 3884 7001
Ipswich (07) 3381 7370
Toowoomba (07) 4615 3900
Maryborough (07) 4121 1432
Rockhampton (07) 4932 6000
Mackay (07) 4944 6200
Aitkenvale (07) 4799 5300
Far North Queensland (07) 4048 9900


You may be eligible for financial assistance from Centrelink if:

For more information:

Support for parents/carers

A carer is someone who provides unpaid assistance and support to a family member or friend who has a disability, physical or mental illness, or is frail or aged.

Carers Queensland

Carers Queensland is a not-for-profit, non-government organisation and registered charity dedicated to supporting carers.

Carers Queensland provides carers with:

Carers Queensland External Link has offices in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Wide Bay, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns.

To contact Carers Queensland:

Commonwealth Carelink Centres

Commonwealth Carelink Centres provide free and confidential information on community aged care, disability and other support services available locally, interstate or anywhere within Australia.

There is a wide range of services to support independent living in the community. Commonwealth Carelink Centres provide a single point, nationally, for anyone to access this information quickly.

Centres provide information on many types of assistance, from personal care and domestic help to accommodation in nursing homes and hostels. Your local centre staff can also let you know which services are available in your area. Centre staff can also assist with information about costs for services, assessment processes and eligibility criteria. All information is free of charge and provided in confidence.

To contact your local Commonwealth Carelink Centre:

All these numbers are free unless you're calling from a mobile phone.

Alternatively, the Commonwealth Carelink Centre website External Link has an online database of services that you can search yourself.

Commonwealth Carer Respite Centres

Commonwealth Carer Respite Centres coordinate access to respite services in your local area. They can give you advice about respite services and find the service closest to you. They can also help you get the right respite services.

Commonwealth Carer Respite Centres work with carers to plan sensible approaches to respite and other support needs, and also arrange 24 hour emergency respite care.

To contact a Commonwealth Carer Respite Centre, call 1800 059 059. This number is free unless you are calling from a mobile phone.

Disability organisations

There are dozens of non-government organisations to support people with disabilities and their families in Queensland, such as parent groups, support groups, advocacy groups, peak bodies, and charities. Many specialise in a particular disability or disability area.

Disability organisations carry out a wide range of work, but the services they offer can include:

To find out about non-government organisations that might be helpful to you:

The Non-School Organisations Program provides DET funding to non-school organisations to support students with disability in early intervention and school settings. A list of organisations is available on their website.

Below are some specific organisations that you may find useful for you and your child:

^ Top of page

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Right to information | Access keys | Other languagesOther languages

© The State of Queensland 2018.

Queensland Government