Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site
Link to Queensland Government (
Home | Site map | Contact us | for
Department of Education
Student Services > Learning and disability support > Education for children with a disability - a guide for parents > Choosing a school >

Key contacts

Contacting Education Queensland

There are seven regions for the Department of Education and Training, each responsible for education, training and early childhood education and care. In the first instance, please contact your local school if you have any general questions about schooling for your child.

Alternatively, you can call the general Education Queensland phone number, 13 QGOV (13 74 68), and ask for information about contact details for your local regional office.

Your child's teachers, the principal and other school personnel

Fostering good relationships and open communication with all of the teachers involved in your child's education assists your child's education process. Your child's teacher will work closely with you to discuss your child's needs and the programs that may be put in place to support their learning.

The best approach to dealing with schools is to be proactive. Actively make contact with the principal and get to know the people supporting your child, ask about options, and tell them if there is anything you're concerned about. It's also important to tell school staff when you are happy or pleased with the work they are doing.

Other staff who may be involved in your child's education include:

Other government departments, non-government organisations, and support groups

Knowing about the services and supports will help you make informed decisions and draw upon information and resources which may be helpful.

Several government departments provide programs and services for families of children with disability. There are also many statewide organisations that cater for people who have specific issues arising from a disability, and smaller services and support groups for particular localities.

Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services is the Queensland Government department focussed on responding to the needs of people with disabilities. Department of Communities - Disability and Community Care Services is a useful source of information about services, organisations, and support groups.

Other parents

Other parents may be the most important contacts you make. Their advice, and simply knowing that you are not alone, can be a huge help. Contact with parents can be made through your local school, parent groups, and support groups.

^ Top of page

This page was last reviewed on 20 Jun 2013

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Right to information | Access keys | Other languagesOther languages

© The State of Queensland 2018.

Queensland Government