The following links and resources provide practical information about mental health and wellbeing including details of community agencies that can support families.
- Resources (DETE employees only) to support health promotion in schools
- The following websites have factual information about mental health difficulties and educational adjustments for students.
The emphasis is upon providing and maintaining a healthy school environment. The following resources are appropriate for whole school approaches to health and wellbeing.
Programs for students at risk of disengaging from school
There are programs with interventions that target young people who may be 'at risk' of disengaging from school due to possible mental health difficulties. The following resources may be useful for students who are receiving targeted support from appropriately qualified staff.
- Council of Australian Governments (COAG)- National Action Plan on Mental Health 2006-2011
COAG Mental Health
- National Mental Health Strategy
Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Beyond Blue-The National Depression Initiative
- MindMatters is a national mental health and wellbeing initiative that includes a resource, website and professional development calendar. MindMatters aims to:
- embed promotion, prevention and early intervention activities for mental health and wellbeing in Australian secondary schools
- enhance the development of school environments where young people feel safe, valued, engaged and purposeful
- develop the social and emotional skills required to meet life's challenges
- help school communities create a climate of positive mental health and wellbeing
- develop strategies to enable a continuum of support for students with additional needs in relation to mental health and wellbeing
- enable schools to better collaborate with families and the health sector.
- KidsMatter is the national initiative for mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention in primary schools. It provides a comprehensive whole-school framework designed to build schools' capacities for supporting student mental health and wellbeing. KidsMatter focuses on 4 key areas where schools can really make a difference. These make up the four KidsMatter components.
- A positive school community
- Social and emotional learning for students
- Parenting support and education
- Early intervention for students experiencing mental health difficulties
Schools undertaking KidsMatter are guided through a structured implementation process that includes professional learning and guidance for staff in each of these four components. KidsMatter has also developed a range of support resources, including a comprehensive Programs Guide for schools and a suite of information resources for use by school staff, parents and carers.
- School-based Social-Emotional Wellbeing surveys for students in Kinder - Year 12; with Australian comparison data.
Queensland Government agencies
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 24 Jan 2018 at 09:09AM