Web Publishing for Schools
Schools are required to publish their annual reports to the school website
To meet this requirement, schools are provided with website hosting as part of the MIS (Managed Internet Service).
Additional resources available are:
- Websites for Schools - a free website using the latest SharePoint Web Content Management System technology for EQ schools
- Joomla! - a free Content Management System for EQ schools
- Local call phone access to the Service Centre for assistance
- Personal website hosting for staff and students.
Support and Responsibilities
Web Site support is available from the Service Centre on 1800 680 445
Principals are responsible for web publishing within, or on behalf of, schools. They may delegate day-to-day management including planning, content and standards adherence to a staff member.
Before developing a website schools must consider a range of issues to protect students' well-being and to ensure that departmental and legislative requirements are met.
These guidelines form the basis for a low risk approach and also provide some useful pointers to best practice in site design and maintenance.
They should be read in conjunction with Managing Consent to Use Student/Volunteer Copyright Materials and/or to Record, Use or Disclose Student Personal Information in the Education Policy and Procedures Register.
- Risk Management - (privacy issues and major risks consideration)
- Copyright - (guidelines and links to consent forms)
- Commercial Activity and Logos - (guidelines and link to copyright consent form)
- Web Site Planning - (points to consider)
- Site Design - (best practice and Education Queensland guidelines)
- Policies, Standards and Legislation - (Education and other Queensland guidelines)
- Current Web Site Options - (Content Management System or Coding HTML)
- Handling Backups - (important information on backup and version control)
- Search Engine Optimisation - (getting your site listed near the top of the search results)
The Learning Place
Schools may wish to complement their websites with online learning courses.
^ Top of page
This page was last reviewed on 01 Aug 2012