To assist schools to lift teaching standards and give schools the support they need to provide a safe and supportive learning environment and the best educational outcomes for their students.
Teacher Education Centre of Excellence (TECE) program targets the recruitment of high performing preservice teachers to provide supportive professional learning and ensure classroom readiness. Programs are developed as a partnership between the department and a range of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) to enhance and support the final year/s of preservice education. The program focuses on teaching excellence using the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST) graduate level to provide a consistent application of excellence. There are currently 2 TECEs operating across Queensland.
Duration of program
Funding currently approved to the end of December 2020.
To be considered for a TECE program, applicants need to be:
- completing their final year of an initial teacher education program which is recognised for teacher registration in Queensland
- committed to completing all the TECE program requirements in their final year
- able to demonstrate high quality academic and non-academic capabilities
- able to achieve and maintain a minimum GPA of 5.5 or higher
- available to commence employment as a teacher in a Queensland state school (determined by each region based on location and/or subject area) immediately after successfully completing all initial teacher education and TECE program requirements
- able to meet
Department of Education's teacher employment requirements
- able to meet and gain
teacher registration with the Queensland College of Teachers (QCT).
Allocation of funds
Teacher Education Centres of Excellence have been funded to provide high quality field experiences for preservice teachers and professional development for teachers.
The current schools receiving this funding are: Benowa State High School and Kelvin Grove State College.
|Professional experience release time||January||50%|
|Professional experience release time||June||50%|
How to apply
No further applications can be submitted for this program. All current eligible schools will be paid automatically.
Organisational Transformation and Capability
Telephone: (07) 3028 8200