The Year 11 Alcohol and other drugs education program is designed to help young people make good decisions and develop skills to ensure their own and other's safety. Students learn and practise these skills as they explore the following topics:
- investigating drugs, alcohol and violence
- considering the legal implications of drug and alcohol use
- having strategies for a safe night out
- leading by example
- responsible decision-making to ensure safety of self, peers and others.
How you can help your children
To support your children as they learn about alcohol and other drugs you may like to:
- discuss what good leadership looks and feels like for young people
- visit the Queensland Police Party Safe website together when planning a party, and plan a safe party
- encourage the practice of leadership skills and praise their efforts
- discuss and be aware of the risks of binge drinking and pre-loading
- support your children to make healthy decisions
- work through strategies to ensure your children's safety when out with friends
- discuss what triggers a violent situation and how your children can identify potential harm and de-escalate aggression
- discuss scenarios to recognise risk and improve problem-solving skills.