The Year 12 Alcohol and other drugs education program is designed to help young people adopt some of the responsibility for their own safety when in social situations. Students learn and practise these skills as they explore the following topics:
- contributing to a safe community
- being aware in social situations
- thinking about respect, values and actions
- promoting positive action for self, peer and community safety
- celebrating safely.
How you can help your children
To support your children as they learn about alcohol and other drugs you may like to:
- praise responsible behaviour, the application of values and leadership
- visit the Queensland Police Party Safe website together when planning a party, and plan a safe party
- talk about risky and unlawful behaviour and managing harmful situations
- encourage children to include an emergency contact in their phones
- discuss what it means to develop respectful relationships; talk about what this looks like, sounds like and feels like
- discuss what it means to be safe when out at night; and enquire about your children's action plan for safety.