The Year 7 Alcohol and other drugs education program is designed to help young people develop good decision-making skills. Students learn and practise these skills as they explore the following topics:
- coping with change
- helping myself and supporting others
- making choices
- accessing health information
- researching health information.
How you can help your children
To support your children as they learn about alcohol and other drugs you may like to:
- talk about viewing change as an opportunity or a positive challenge
- encourage coping strategies such as exercise, socialising, seeking help, positive self-talk, distraction from stress, comforting oneself, expressing oneself, taking positive action
- discuss school and family expectations. For example, outline your expectations for what your children do when they complete their homework and study
- encourage children to make their own decisions and talk with them about how they came to that decision
- discuss health facts and healthy living.