The Year 8 Alcohol and other drugs education program is designed to help young people develop good decision-making skills. Students learn and practise these skills as they explore the following topics:
- good decision-making
- understanding community thinking
- being kind to your body
- being in control
- knowing the truth about cannabis.
How you can help your children
To support your children as they learn about alcohol and other drugs you may like to:
- use accurate information when talking to children about alcohol and other drugs (Note: using scare tactics or exaggeration can encourage risk seeking in adolescents)
- explain to children that non-use of alcohol and other drugs is normal for 12-17 year olds (Did you know that in 2013, 71% of 12-17 years olds abstained from alcohol?)
- discuss ways that personal values help shape good decision-making
- use reliable information to discuss the effects of alcohol and other drugs and the laws about use and supply.