To succeed in an interconnected and interdependent world, young people need the skills and understanding to connect with other cultures locally and globally.
Learning a language is part of being equipped to succeed in a globalised world.
Watch why our students need to develop a global mindset and be able to communicate across languages and cultures, opening doors to further study and opportunities.
Creating global citizens in Queensland state schools
Advancing Education, the government's action plan for education in Queensland, recognises the importance of global schools through languages.
The global schools through languages supporting plan (PDF, 1.5MB) outlines strategies supporting Queensland state schools to:
- expand the study of languages from Prep to Year 12 with a focus on Asian languages
- build the intercultural capability of students, teachers and school leaders
- market Queensland's education sector internationally.
Supporting school leaders to:
- develop global citizens
- expand languages from Prep.
Building capability to:
- implement the Australian Curriculum: Languages by 2020 through regional programs and summer school workshops
- offer immersion approaches
- upskill teachers of other learning areas to teach languages.
Providing student opportunities:
- university vacation course scholarships
- forums to develop intercultural understanding and a global mindset
- Premier's Reading Challenge in six additional languages
- language mentors in schools
- community language schools grants program.
Recognising effective practice:
- Showcase Awards for Excellence in Global Engagement.
Global schools through languages hubs
Visit the hub for school leaders and language teachers for resources and advice on improving and expanding languages from Prep, implementing the Australian Curriculum, languages, what's happening and examples of effective practice.
The hub for parents and students provides your school community with information on the benefits of learning other languages, how parents can raise global children and support their child as they learn a language, potential careers where language and cultural skills may increase job prospects.
Email email@example.com to learn more.