The following elements and activities are associated with successful transition to school programs:
- Orientation — help children and parents become familiar with the school setting and administrative matters such as how to enrol, uniforms and stationery requirements
- Transition — meet the individual needs of children and families, tending to be longer term depending on the child or parent's needs and include mutual information sharing between children, parents, Early Childhood Education Centre educators and teachers
- School readiness and capacity building — build the skills and abilities required by children, the capacity of parents and teachers to support the transition process and the readiness of the school to receive children of various ability levels
- Parental engagement — promote parents' engagement and commitment to their child's learning such as reading to children and connecting with their child's teachers, as well as parental participation in school life such as attending parent evenings and events
- Partnerships and relationships — designed to promote and facilitate networks and collaborations between stakeholders which service to influence and support positive transition to school experiences.