The Department of Education International in collaboration with Jiangsu Education Services for International Exchange is offering eligible, high-performing students an opportunity to be immersed in Chinese language and culture. Year 10 students will be selected from across Queensland to undertake a fully-funded program in Jiangsu and experience a unique program that includes language-learning through immersion in formal classes, cultural activities and visits to sites of historical and cultural significance.
This program targets students who would otherwise not have the opportunity to experience another culture in an international environment.
- 2-week program.
- The program is open to 15 Queensland state high school students in Year 10 and provides the opportunity for students to experience a different culture and improve their language skills.
- Two teacher chaperones will accompany the group for the duration of the program.
- Accommodation is provided, including dormitory style, hotel style and twin share.
- Final itinerary and details will be provided in an information session or workshop, which the successful students and their families are required to attend.
- Teacher chaperones will be required to assist with the tour planning, selection of students and pre/post-program tasks.
- Students must have parental/guardian consent to submit an application.
- Student applications need to be submitted via the school and only 2 student applications per school will be accepted.
- Return airfares
- Land travel
- Travel insurance
- Most meals
- Visa (if required)
Application period: Applications open in October (the year before travel).
Travel period: September to October 2020 (September school holidays).
Applications for Year 10 Queensland state school students (PDF, 547KB) who are studying Chinese (Mandarin) in the year of travel are now open. Applications close
Wednesday 29 April 2020.
Applications for registered teachers (PDF, 545KB) from a Queensland (state) school are now open. Chinese (Mandarin) language teachers are encouraged to apply. Applications close Wednesday 25 March 2020.
Global Engagement Unit
Phone: (07) 3513 5756