Queensland and Shanghai commenced a sister state relationship in 1989 and the Shanghai International Sister Cities Youth Camp has been held annually since 2009. Up to 5 Queensland state high school students have the opportunity to enhance their Chinese language skills whilst engaging with students from around the world during a two-week cultural immersion program in China. Students will represent Queensland and undertake cultural activities throughout the 2-week program.
- Two-week program.
- The program is open to up to 5 Queensland (state) high school students and provides opportunity for students to experience a different culture and improve language skills.
- One chaperone will accompany the group for the duration of the tour.
- Accommodation and most meals provided at the institute (dormitory style, twin/triple share).
- Final itinerary and details will be provided in an information session or workshop which the successful students and their families are required to attend.
- The teacher chaperone will be required to assist with the program planning, selection of students and pre/post-departure tasks.
- Students must have parent/guardian consent to submit an application.
- Student applications need to be submitted via the school and only 1 student application per school will be accepted.
- Return airfares
- Land travel
- Travel insurance
- Most meals
- Visa (if required)
Application period: Applications open October (the year before travel) .
Travel period: July to August 2020.
Applications for Year 11 Queensland state school students (PDF, 589KB) who are studying Chinese (Mandarin) in the year of travel are now open. Applications close
Wednesday 11 March 2020.
Applications for registered teachers (PDF, 593KB) from a Queensland (state) school are now open. Chinese (Mandarin) language teachers are encouraged to apply. Applications close
Wednesday 26 February 2020.
DE International—International Services
Phone: (07) 3513 5756