Preparing an application


​​Applying for registration for home education​

If you wish to register your child for home education in Queensland under section 208 of the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 (the 'Act'), you must submit an application. This can be done by:

The application form for registration for home education provides details of the supporting documentation required to satisfy procedural requirements under section 208 of the Act. The required documentation includes (but may not be limited to):
  • Evidence your child is eligible for registration for home education and you, as the applicant, are a parent of the child. This is usually satisfied with a certified copy of your child’s birth certificate.
    Note: the requirement for certification of your child’s birth certificate has been temporarily removed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • A summary of the educational program to be used.

If you choose to apply for home education registration, you will need to develop and provide a summary of the educational program for your child. The initial ideas for planning your child's home education program will come from your own observations of your child and the goals you have for them. If available, past report cards and feedback from class teachers may also be helpful to you.

When documenting the summary of the educational program, you are encouraged to choose your own approach or style and to tailor your teaching style to the individual needs of your child. Time invested in the early stages of developing a summary of the educational program, will help you to address the registration requirements and importantly, provide you with direction for the learning year ahead.

The Home Education Unit (HEU) offers general information about planning a program and provides templates and completed examples for reference. The use of these templates is not mandatory and you may choose to develop your own format. The templates have a similar beginning around the setting of goals and then move into a different style of presentation.

None of the presented material is intended to form a recommended educational program. They contain ideas only and reference to a wide variety of information is recommended.

Applying for provisional registration

If you wish to apply for provisional registration under section 207 of the Act (60 day period of registration only), your application must be made in writing and include all of the following information:​

  • the applicant's name
  • the child's full name and date of birth
  • the address of the child’s usual place of residence
  • a written statement declaring the child is not enrolled in a State or non-State school.

The application must be accompanied by evidence (usually satisfied by the child’s birth certificate) that:

  • the child is eligible for provisional registration for home education
  • the applicant is a parent of the child (or exercising parental responsibility).

Note: If the child is the subject of any current court orders (for example, pursuant to the Family Law Act 1975 or other orders concerning the welfare, safety or parenting arrangements of the child), a copy should also be provided. Documents provided as evidence are usually certified by a JP as a true copy of the original although certification is not currently required due to COVID-19.

It is also recommended to provide a contact phone number at the time of application in case the Home Education Unit needs to contact you.

Frequently asked questions

Last updated 20 December 2022