Health care


Transition to adult health services

For some students with disability, the majority of their health care would have been provided through the paediatric service.

In the health system, transition is the phase in which they are transferred from paediatric (child) health care into the adult health care system. Transition occurs at different times depending on individual circumstances. However, generally this process commences between the ages of 14 and 20.

Young people and their families will benefit from discussing transition arrangements early with their paediatric service team.

Keeping a filing system

It is important for families to be able to provide health professionals with as much medical history as possible. It is worthwhile keeping organised notes and records of the student's health care. It may be worthwhile for families to put together a folder containing information such as:

  • birth records, including a copy of the birth certificate
  • a record of vaccinations
  • a record of medical interventions including assessments, treatments and surgeries
  • medication history, e.g. details about medications, side effects, dosages and purposes
  • a list of allergies.

You may also want to consider registering with the Australian Digital Health Agency.

The aim of digital health is to electronically connect the different points of care so that health information can be shared securely.

The My Health Record system is a secure online summary of your health information. You can control what goes into it, and who is allowed to access it. You can choose to share your health information with your doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers.

It is recommended that students talk to their health care professionals about how this will occur for their individual circumstances.

Applying for a Medicare card

While most students are listed on their family's Medicare card, young people aged 15 or older can apply for their own Medicare card.

Young people can use their Medicare card when:

  • making a Medicare claim for a paid or unpaid doctor's account
  • visiting a doctor who bulk bills
  • getting treatment as a public patient in a public hospital
  • filling a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme prescription at a pharmacy.

It is important to ensure the young person's current address is up-to-date so that they receive a replacement Medicare card when their card expires.

To transfer to an individual Medicare card, students will need to visit a Department of Human Services (DHS) service centre with identification and fill out a Medicare Copy/Transfer Application form.

Note: If a parent wants to do this for their child, both the child and the parent will need to complete the Medicare Copy/Transfer Application form.

Last updated 02 October 2018