Public transport

There are many different public transport options available including:

  • buses
  • CityCat and ferries
  • wheelchair accessible taxis
  • trains
  • taxis.

For travel within South East Queensland with TransLink, using a journey planner can help the young person to decide the best route to take and the duration of the trip.

Go card is the TransLink electronic ticket that allows you travel on any TransLink bus, train and ferry network.

TransLink also have 'access passes' available:

For travel within regional and rural Queensland, the Department of Transport and Main Roads provides a qconnect journey planner that provides details of available services, including buses, trains and taxis in rural and regional areas.

If the young person has difficulty accessing public transport or a private vehicle, they may be eligible for community transport services. The Community transport website provides details about a number of organisation throughout Queensland that provide community transport services.

The Companion Card program is an initiative of the Queensland Government to support people with disability who have a lifelong need for attendant care support to participate in community activities and attend venues.

Cardholders present their card when purchasing tickets at participating businesses and are issued with a second ticket for their companion at no charge.

Australia's Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport makes public transport easier and more accessible for people with disability. The transport standards apply to most forms of public transport.

Taxi service

A taxi service is another option for travel which is subsidised.

The Taxi Subsidy Scheme subsidises taxi travel 'half of the total fare, up to a maximum of $25 per trip' for people with severe disabilities. Membership of the taxi subsidy scheme is for a maximum of five years. To extend the membership, the user must reapply prior to the expiry date.

Wheelchair accessible taxis are available across south east Queensland and many regional centres. Wheelchair accessible taxis have been introduced into over 50 rural and regional locations.

Learning to drive

Before a young person can obtain a driver's licence, they need to apply for a learner licence. In Queensland, they can apply for a learner licence from the age of 16 years. If the young person has a medical condition, it is important to speak to a doctor about whether it is safe for them to drive a car. According to Jet's Law, people with a medical condition need to disclose this to the Department of Transport.

Medical conditions which require disclosure to the Department of Transport may include:

  • acquired brain injury
  • cerebral palsy
  • limb deficiency/amputation
  • spinal cord injury.

To obtain a licence, the young person will need to complete an application form, and if necessary, provide a medical certificate. They will then be required to undertake the learner's exam. Young people are able to practice their test online.

Last updated 12 September 2019