As parents/carers you play a very important role in the education of your child and supporting their learning and wellbeing during the transition to junior secondary school. Transition provides you with an opportunity work with teachers to plan for the move to junior secondary school and to develop productive relationships with teachers and the school community.
You may find the
transition to junior secondary school matrix (DOC, 749KB) helpful in supporting your son or daughter during the transition phase.
- Contact schools as early as possible in the year before your child starts secondary school.
- Gather information about enrolment, orientation visits and transition programs that support you and your child to make a smooth transition to junior secondary.
- Consider organising a tour to become familiar with the secondary school's facilities, staff and environment.
- Share your choice of high school with the primary school so that they can support the transition from primary to secondary school.
- Enrol at the secondary school of your choice.
- Your child will be involved in the orientation visits and transition programs available to all Year 6 students.
- Additional visits and programs may be provided to support your child's needs.
- These visits and programs are designed to support continued learning and focus on the social and emotional skills important for a smooth transition from primary to junior secondary.
- You can support your child's transition to secondary school by sharing information with the school and encouraging your child to participate.
- Parents/carers are encouraged to become involved in their child's new school by participating in school events, parent meetings and school activities.
Over the holidays
- You continue to play a very important role as you help your child transition from primary school to secondary school.
- Use the transition resources provided to talk about secondary school together.
- Link with community services.
- Support your child over the holidays as you help them get ready to start junior secondary.
Getting ready to start secondary school (DOCX, 78KB) sample transition booklet can be edited and adjusted to support transition programs. The primary and secondary school may use this type of booklet to support your child's transition to junior secondary. A
completed example (PDF, 812KB) of the booklet has also been provided to give schools and parents/carers some ideas on how to use the booklet.
Choosing a school
Enrolment in State Primary, Secondary and Special Schools