The Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education recognise students, teachers, support officers, schools and education partners (volunteers, mentors and organisations) who demonstrate an outstanding and innovative contribution to STEM education in Queensland.
2020 marks the 17th year of the awards named after Professor Peter Doherty, a Brisbane-born Nobel Prize-winning scientist, who was educated at Indooroopilly State High School and the University of Queensland.
The awards categories are:
- Outstanding Senior STEM Student—$5,000 each
- Outstanding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Senior STEM Student—$5,000 each
- Outstanding Teacher of STEM—$5,000 each
- Outstanding STEM Support Officer—$5,000 each
- STEM Education Partnership—$5,000 each
- Outstanding School STEM—$5,000 each.
Attendance at the award ceremony
It is anticipated that the successful applicants will attend the awards ceremony. If required, travel and accommodation expenses will be paid for on behalf of the award recipients by the Department of Education. For student awards, the travel and accommodation expenses will also be paid for 2 accompanying adults if required.
Nominations for 2020 are now closed.
Winners will be announced at the ceremony on 14 August 2020, the commencement of National Science Week (15–22 August 2020).
For further information about the Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education, please email