Is your child starting a new school next year?
New school checklist
Visit the new school.
Meet the teachers.
Prepare for new routines.
Families play an important role in supporting a child's transition to school for the first time, or to a new school.
What can families do to prepare?
Whether a child is starting Prep, advancing to high school or moving to a new school, there are many things that families can do to help make a child or teen's transition successful:
- Getting to know as much about the school as they can.
- Talking with their child about school.
- Taking their child to the school to meet the teachers and to find out where things are.
- Making sure their child knows the transport arrangements for getting to and from school.
- Getting to know other families with children who will be in the same class as their child.
- If appropriate, ensuring their child knows how before and after school hours care will work.
- Answering their child's questions about school.
- Always being positive and realistic about school.
- Researching some