Financial assistance


State schools provide free instruction, administration and facilities to students enrolled at state schools who are Australian citizens, permanent residents or children of Australian citizens or permanent residents. However, principals in conjunction with the school's parents and citizens' association, are able to charge fees or ask for voluntary contributions from parents or caregivers to provide extra resources such as art materials or sporting equipment. The amount varies from school to school.

In most schools, parents are responsible for providing items such as stationery and uniforms. Parents also pay for school excursions, camps and extracurricular activities.

The Queensland Government provides allowances to help eligible students with secondary textbooks and resources, school transport, and living away from home expenses.

Textbook and resource allowance

Read the Textbook and Resource Allowance (TRA) webpage for information.

The Allowance provides assistance to parents of secondary school age students attending state and approved non-state schools to contribute towards the cost of textbooks and learning resources.

Transport assistance

Transporting students to and from school is a parental responsibility. Students may be eligible for assistance under the School Transport Assistance Scheme.

The scheme helps students travel to and from school if their access to education facilities is impeded by distance, disability, or financial disadvantage or if the students are from areas designated as drought-declared.

Students with disabilities can also be assessed to determine their eligibility for taxi or contract minibus. For more information on school transport assistance for students with disabilities, contact your local Education Queensland district office or visit the school transport webpage.

Living Away from Home Allowances Scheme

Information about the Living Away From Home Allowances Scheme (LAFHAS) is available on the Queensland Government website.

The scheme supports eligible Queensland families whose children need to live away from home to attend a state school or an accredited non-state school.

Queensland Academies Isolated Student Bursary

Talented students from rural and remote areas who are not eligible for the Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme (LAFHAS) may be able to apply for the Queensland Academies Isolated Students Bursary. The Bursary will assist students with travel and accommodation costs while attending one of the 3 specialised Queensland Academies in south-east Queensland.

Commonwealth Government assistance

Commonwealth Government assistance is also available for eligible young people through Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY, ABSTUDY and Assistance for Isolated Children programs. For further information on this assistance visit the Centerlink website.

Further information

Information on government entitlements for Queensland parents and school-age students is available at the Grants and allowances webpage.

Further information is available from School Financial Services, Department of Education on 1800 248 997, or (07) 3034 5817.

Last updated 03 December 2019