The Department of Education (DoE) Temporary Residents Admissions Centre (TRAC) assists families with temporary resident visas to enrol in Queensland state schools.
Who does TRAC assist?
- Dependants of student visa holders
- Bridging visa holders
- Tourist visa holders
Exemptions for school age dependants of student visa holders
The Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 provides authority for the Department of Education (DoE) to charge a fee for the education of a person at a state school who is not:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- a child of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
The power to charge a fee includes the power to "exempt any person or matter from payment of the fee".
School age dependants of student visa holders may be exempt from the requirement to pay tuition fees for their education (Prep to Year 12) in Queensland state schools. 'School age dependant' of a student visa holder means a member of the family unit of the student visa holder who has turned 5, but has not turned 18 (see the Migration Regulations 1994 [Cth]). Any exemption only applies for the duration of the primary student visa holder's course of study in Queensland.
The DoE Fee exemption policy (PDF, 110KB) outlines:
- what 'fee exemption' means
- who is exempt from paying fees
- how to apply to enrol a child in a Queensland state school where a fee exemption applies.
Parents must notify TRAC in writing within 7 days of any changes to the parent's:
- visa subclass
- confirmation of enrolment
- enrolment dates
- education provider
- scholarship details
- any other changes that may affect the dependant's fee exemption.
Find out more information about Temporary Residents Admissions.
How to contact us
Telephone: 1800 316 540 (within Australia)
Telephone: +61 7 3513 5301 (outside Australia)