Funding provided through the Pilot will assist schools to establish an on-site GP clinic by:
- providing funding to the GP to contribute to the costs of providing a clinic nurse to work with the GP in the on-site clinic
- contributing to infrastructure changes necessary to set up a fit-for-purpose clinic room for the GP on school grounds
- employing a staff member 1 day per week to manage bookings and other administrative requirements for the school-based GP clinic.
Duration of program
2021/22 to 2023/24
Queensland state schools with secondary-aged students who, following an expression of interest (EOI) process, were selected as Pilot schools.
Allocation of funds
In July 2021, an EOI opened inviting Queensland state schools with secondary students to apply to participate in the GPs in Schools Pilot. Applications closed on 20 August 2021.
Applications were reviewed by regions and a centrally convened expert selection panel. The panel assessed schools' applications according to pre-determined needs-based selection criteria. A list of 50 schools selected to participate in the pilot was approved by the Acting Director-General. Pilot schools will be notified in early October 2021.
Service costs to be paid to schools includes:
- providing GPs working in schools approximately $1,000 per day to provide a clinic nurse to work with them in the school-based clinic and to support the running of the clinic by the GP
- fund a 0.2 FTE program coordinator at each school to act as a point of liaison between the clinic and the school.
GP travel (up to 100km per day per GP) is also included in the Pilot to subsidise GP travel costs. Travel costs can be processed as a SAPA payment following confirmation of travel by the school.
|Semester 2||July||100% of allocation|
|List of schools selected to participate in the GPs in Schools Pilot||Spreadsheet||October 2021|
Funds for this program are paid based on a state school’s participation in the GPs in Schools Pilot. For any reason in which a state school is no longer participating in the GPs in Schools Pilot, recoupment of funds may be sought.
How to apply
Schools were invited to apply to participate in the GPs in Schools by responding to an EOI. The EOI process was open between 12 July and 20 August 2021. The EOI for the GPs in Schools Pilot is now closed.
Further information can be found on the
Student Wellbeing Package page.
Manager, Student Wellbeing
State Schools—Disability, Inclusion and Student Services
Phone: (07) 3513 5918