To assist schools with the provision of Learn-to-Swim programs.
Duration of program
State primary and special schools without a swimming pool.
Schools of Distance Education (excluding Capricornia) without a swimming pool.
Allocation of funds
Funding for this program is broken down into the following components:
All schools without a pool will receive admission assistance. The amount of assistance provided is based on the number of enrolments in grades P to 6 attending 10 lessons per year.
Calculation for admission assistance:
Admission assistance = enrolments (P-6) x pool admission rate x 10
For schools that are more than 1km from the nearest pool, assistance will be provided to help transport students to the pool by bus. The nearest pool is the closest to your school regardless of availability.
Schools that have a pool within 1km are not eligible for travel assistance.
Calculation for travel assistance:
- Schools with enrolments fewer than 25:
travel assistance = waiting time rate + (km rate 1 x distance to pool x 2 x 10)
- Schools with enrolments greater than 25:
travel assistance = number of buses x [waiting time rate + (km rate 2 x distance to pool x 2 x 10)]
Additional inclusions and exclusions to this program are:
- Milpera State High School to cover the cost of the primary cohort that attend the school.
- Mt Gravatt East SS will be excluded from this funding as there is an agreement with the local council for access to the nearest council pool.
- Carole Park SS will be excluded from this funding as there is an agreement with the local council for access to the nearest council pool.
- Queensland Children's hospital School – to be excluded from this funding as students are short term students in receipt of medical treatment.
- The Southport Special School (which has a Hydrotherapy pool only) is included in this funding to assist in the mobile students to attend Learn to Swim sessions at a standard swimming pool.
- Capricornia (Rockhampton) SDE is excluded as all enrolments are against the Emerald campus.
Current rates used in formulas above
Pool admission rate: 50c
Bus driver waiting time: $320
Number of buses: 1 bus per 50 students or part thereof
km rate 1 – funded enrolment <25: 54c
km rate 2 – funded enrolment >25: 67.5c
Distance to pool: to a maximum of 80 km
Number of trips: 10 per year
|Learn to swim||July||100% of annual allocation|
|Pool ownership||Centre Information System (CIS)||On opening/closure of pool|
|Distance to nearest pool (changes)||Centre Information System (CIS)||As required|
How to apply
Schools do not need to apply for learn to swim funding. Entitlements are automatically calculated each year by Finance Branch and paid to schools.
State School Division
Phone: (07) 3513 5923
Phone: (07) 3034 5817