School-based apprenticeships and traineeships (SATs) provide an opportunity for students in Years 10, 11 and 12 to undertake employment-based training while continuing full-time enrolment in a school program and studying towards a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE).
In exceptional circumstances, students in other years may be considered eligible. For further information refer to business cases for students outside Years 10, 11 and 12 on the
Apprenticeships Info website or the
Guide to school-based apprenticeships and traineeships (PDF, 319KB).
School-based apprenticeships and traineeships:
- support transitions from school to work and promote education, training and employment opportunities for secondary school students
- provide students with opportunities to develop skills and knowledge relating to actual employment situations
- allow students to start, and in some cases complete, a vocational qualification while still at school
- improve post-schooling employment and training pathways for students
- improve links between education and industry, school and local community.
Managing a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
Information on relevant legislation, processes for applying for certain subsidies and support funding for SATs can be accessed from the Queensland Department of Education,
School-based apprenticeships and traineeships procedure.
Details of funding for VET in schools, including SATs can be accessed from the
Vocational Education and Training in Schools website.
Each party to a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship (i.e. student, parent/carer, school, employer and supervising registered training organisation) has specific
responsibilities and obligations.
All parties must negotiate and agree to a schedule of school studies, training and employment for the apprentice or trainee, and endorsement will come from the school principal by signing either an
Education, Training and Employment Schedule (ETES form) (PDF, 302KB) and/or a
school notification form.
If students wish to update their personal details, this can be changed online by accessing the
Minor Amendment form on the Apprenticeships Info website.
For more information about SATs visit
Apprenticeships info or telephone 1800 210 210.
For more information about vocational education and training, visit
Department of Small Business, Employment and Training or the
Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority.