- At least 2 adult supervisors, one of whom is a registered teacher, are required to supervise power boating activities.
- Ensure adult supervisors are visible and easily identified and that all students are in sight of at least 1 adult supervisor at all times.
- Adult supervisors must be ready to carry out an emergency procedure.
Medium risk level additional supervision requirements
- One adult supervisor is to travel in the ship with the student/s under instruction or in another ship in close proximity to the students, providing direct and immediate supervision to students operating other training ships. The students do not need to hold a licence to operate training ships.
- A second adult supervisor must act as a lookout. The lookout must watch for approaching vessels, dangerous marine life and students in difficulty. The lookout must be able to rescue, provide first aid, CPR and resuscitation or direct someone who can immediately perform these duties.
- When operating in smooth or partially smooth waters,
at least 1 adult supervisor will have the ability to: effect the recovery of a student from the water; perform first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); and operate signalling devices needed in a distress situation (including marine radio and flares).
High risk level additional supervision requirements
- All adult supervisors should hold a current first aid qualification, have the ability to perform the above procedures and be able to take control of the ship if required.