The Queensland Schools Animal Ethics Committee (QSAEC) was established by the chief executive officers of the
Department of Education, the
Queensland Catholic Education Commission and
Independent Schools Queensland to assist Queensland schools to meet their legal obligations under the
Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 and the
Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes, (the Code).
To ensure that schools comply with the legislation, the QSAEC:
- approves guidelines, including standard operating procedures, for the care and scientific use of animals in schools
- reviews applications and approves only those proposed activities that are ethically acceptable and conform to the requirements of the Code
- conducts follow-up review of approved activities
- monitors the care and use of animals, including housing conditions, practices and procedures involved in the care of animals in facilities, and allows the continuation of approval for only those that conform to the requirements of the Code
- takes appropriate actions regarding unexpected adverse events
- takes appropriate actions regarding non-compliance.
In accordance with the Code, the committee members include veterinarians, suitable qualified persons with substantial and recent experience in the use of animals for scientific purposes, persons with demonstrable commitment to and experience with the welfare of animals, and independent persons with no involvement in the use of animals for scientific or teaching activities.
For further information on the functioning of the QSAEC please refer to the
Terms of reference.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the QSAEC, please contact the Animal Ethics Officer on (07) 3328 6578.
Complaints and grievances
Procedures are in place to ensure the effective governance and operation of QSAEC. Should you have a complaint related to the QSAEC process or wish to lodge a grievance against a QSAEC decision, please contact
email@example.com for further information.
Calendar and meeting dates
QSAEC meets 4 times each year to consider applications and improve operations. Applications must reach the QSAEC Animal Ethics Officer no later than the given closing date to be considered at the relevant meeting. The committee will email schools after the QSAEC meeting to inform them of their decision.