Queensland state schools undertake 5 staff professional development days (25 hours) throughout the year:
- 2 days at the end of the summer holidays (fixed)
- 2 days during the Easter holidays (flexible)
- 1 day in the third last week of Term 3 (fixed*) on the student free day (refer below).
Within the 25 professional development hours throughout the year, at least 15 hours may be worked on the 3 student free days.
The staff professional development days at the end of the summer holiday are fixed and must occur on the scheduled days.
The staff professional development day in the third last week of Term 3 is also fixed, however may be converted to flexible following consultation with the Local Consultative Committee (LCC). Unless converted to flexible, staff professional development must occur on this day.
The remaining 2 flexible staff professional development days (10 hours) will be worked as determined through consultation with the LCC.
Schools are able to position flexible professional development hours during any school holiday period or at any time outside of school hours, according to their workforce needs and arrangements. Schools that choose to make flexible arrangements must ensure that staff undertake a total of 25 hours professional development per annum, inclusive of the fixed professional development hours. This time is exclusive of staff meetings.
Students are not required to attend school on the student free day in the third last week in Term 3, which is an allocated staff professional development day. Similar to the 2 flexible days during the Easter holidays, there is flexibility in how schools use this professional development time.
- If a school, in consultation with their LCC, chooses to undertake the 5 required hours of professional development outside school hours, staff are not required to attend school on this day
- If a school chooses to undertake the 5 required hours of professional development on this day, it must be taken on the student free day in Term 3.
For all flexible arrangements, the school community must ensure that decisions are made in consultation with their LCC. Schools with less than 20 employees must liaise with a consultative body of staff.
Arrangements for staff professional development days must be finalised by the end of the previous year.
As required, the Minister for Education may approve staff professional development days for specific professional development opportunities.
Frequently asked questions